Monday, September 6, 2010

A blowout drive (part 2) – Day 10/11/12

I am sad to say that I failed in my blogging for 30 days straight! Due to the unforeseen circumstances of the last few days my blogging sort of fell behind. But now I am here and bringing your the second half of that scary night (with hopefully some humor as well).

We were only in the hospital for about 4 hours. I was discharged fairly quickly and then was able to sit in the hubs room (thankfully after they had put in the staples) until he was discharged. When they determined that everything in the noggin was working okay for the hubs they decided to discharge him too. They let him take a shower at the hospital since he had blood all over him and they had me supervise the shower to make sure he didn’t pass out or anything. I really thought  I was going to pass out because I was so afraid that he was going to bust open his staples! I was also just so thankful that we were getting out so quickly.

While we were still in the hospital my brother in law came to our rescue! He lives about 6 hours away and as soon as he heard he jumped in the car and headed our direction. He had also booked us an hotel room for the night since he wouldn’t be getting there until after midnight. We were released from the hospital around 9pm or so and we called a cab to take us to the hotel. We defiantly looked like a pair, especially the hubs with his bloody head and bloody cut up jeans. That is when we realized it might be a good idea to make a stop at walmart for some much needed clothes and necessities and fill the hubs prescription. On a side-note it was funny because when the hubs asked the nurse in the hospital if they had any throw away pants he could wear out (apparently he wasn't too keen on showing off the thigh area) she brought him her own pants that we way too small…walmart here we come!

So there we were all bloody, walking around walmart at 9:30pm at night spending way too much money (apparently we don’t do cheap overnighters)! By the end of the walmart adventure I was in a lot of pain so all we both wanted to do was get to the hotel and lay down. We were planning on going to this amazing buffet in Las Vegas that night but instead we had come crackers and called it a night :)

The next morning my brother in law picked us up and once we figured out the insurance info on the phone we headed to go check out the damage on the explorer. The night before I had realized that we had gotten these really yummy cupcakes to take to bako that were still in the car. I told the hubs that if they were still intact I was totally going to eat them! However, they met their demise during the roll and were plastered all over our car and everything else in the car when we go there!

We were able to salvage most of the important stuff and were excited to see that our computers, ipods and other garmin watches survived the crash :) We gathered all that we could and then turned the beat up explorer over to USAA. It was a little scary to see the damage and brought it even more to our minds are truly lucky we were and how much God protected us! Oh and for those of you who were favorite jeans survived too! We headed for breakfast and then back on the road headed home. At firs I think both the hubs and I were both a little shaky but we were in great hands!

This might sound weird but one of the hardest parts for me after this all happened was the fact that we were both suppose to take it easy for the next three days. I felt fine besides my foot hurting some and it was torture to see a Saturday pass without completing our scheduled run. However I tried to remind myself just how lucky we were! I also hated seeing the hubs suffer due to his injuries..I just wanted to do something to help him! He was sure a trooper though and didn’t complain at all!

We were able to go to the Gap too and get him new jeans and I scored myself some new coupons after telling the the circumstances of how my previous beloved coupons met their demise!

Thank you guys all so much for your kind words and prayers, we totally felt them!

Oh and shout-out to facebook because we kept getting random texts while in the hospital and we couldn’t figure out how people knew until I checked my facebook and saw that my sis had posted something about the accident…it still amazes me how fast news can travel via facebook!

Since we were now car-less (well missing one car) my in-laws in their amazing generosity decided to sell us their newer explorer and so they headed out for a three day drive to get to us. My parents also decided that since we weren't coming there anymore and my dad was on a 6-dayer (fireman talk for 6 days off) they decided to head up here too with the furniture that we were getting out there. Yay for family reunion! These aren’t the circumstances that we wanted to bring almost all the family together but we were glad to have them here! We are really missing the rest of the family though! God has been very good to us during all of this and all we can do is praise him!

Have a great day and I’ll see you tomorrow :)


  1. Oh I am so glad everything turned out ok! Such a scary ordeal! You both are really lucky! Hope you're enjoying your labor day!


  2. I'm so happy you guys are safe and that you got to see both your parents.

  3. Oh Ashley, I'm so sorry about your accident and your ruined weekend. I am so happy that you are both alright, what a blessing from such a horrible accident. I hope that you were able to get a lot of rest over the weekend and that you are both feeling okay. Take care of yourself!

  4. So glad you're both ok! I was in a minor accident with an ex and that was scary enough... I can't imagine what y'all had to go through. Take care! xoxo

  5. Oh, how terrible! I just saw this, I'm so glad you're alright!