Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dog bites and Horse pills..

 

Wow! Where have I been?? I seriously can’t believe a month has went by since my last post…so terribly sorry! Well work has been crazy busy and that’s about it. I haven’t been doing much besides working and coming home, hanging with the hubs and the Charles of course and training for a sprint tri (which is really hard with a busted knee). Yeah, I'm am hoping it is healed in the next few weeks or at least healed enough for three miles..yesterday I made it through two miles before the pain became too much to handle. I guess it’s more non-running exercise for me. Luckily we just bought road bicycles which surprisingly I am actually liking and with that and swimming I am still able to train for the other aspects of the sprint triathlon.

I did have one minor set back this week though and leaned a valuable lesson..don’t go running in the dark at 4:45 am with a German Shepherd on the loose. Usually I run (or lately attempt to run) after work but I had a dinner date with a friend so I decided to run around the neighborhood (I thought I was being smart since the neighborhood is where the street lights are). I was less than 1/2 a mile into my run when I turned the corner and heard the neighbors annoying German Shepherd barking. This didn’t surprise me at first because they always tie him up in the front yard and let him bark like crazy but I did think that it was a little early for it to be out. That is when I realized that it was running right at me and getting closer (too close to be on a leash). I heard the owner yelling at the dog and I panicked. Before I knew it he bit my leg hard. I screamed and he let go, the owner ran over and I was freaked. I really believe that the dog was surprised that he bit me and I am sure my panic spurred the attack.  The owner (who is the most irresponsible dog owner and always lets his dog poop in our yard) said that the dog was a police dog and he was trained to chase down and bite people.

I had no idea what to do but I did think it was odd because I knew the neighbor wasn’t a police man. I am still not sure but I am assuming the dog is a retired police dog that this family adopted. He said that no one is usually out but he still shouldn’t have left the dog off the leash.

Anyways, I ran straight home and by the time I got to the door I was sobbing and in shock. It didn’t hurt too much but I was just freaked. I was going to bandage it up and go to work but when I saw the damage I decided to call the hubs and see what he thought I should do. To make a long story short we decided that I needed to go to the base clinic but it was the only day that it opened later so I decided to go to work until I could get an appointment. Probably not the best idea since I was in a lot of pain and my leg was really swollen, but I didn’t want to sit at home. The hubs tired to go over to the neighbors house to get their phone number but we were unable to get a hold of them. While I was at work I found out that we had to go to the ER so that they could also file all the reports with animal control. I was almost in tears at the thought that anything would happen to the dog (i mean it was his owner’s fault) but they assured me that nothing would happen.

I got checked out and they gave me antibiotics (which are as big as horse pills..really) and bandaged me up. My mom thinks that I should make the family pay for the time off work that I missed but I don’t want it to turn into any big thing…What do you think? The owner said they would pay for my medical bills if the insurance doesn’t (which they are required to do). Would you make them pay for the day of work that you missed?

I am doing good now and my leg is healing up but I am still a little scared to go by their house with the dog there and I am not running that early in the morning anymore!

In other news we might get our first snow this week! Have a great Sunday :)

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't know - that's a toughy. If they weren't agreeable to paying, you'd have to get a lawyer to get them to pay for it, and that would take more money than it's worth. I had a situation where I could have made a big issue of something that happened to me (and maybe even likely won), but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and stress to go through with it. A little peace of mind was worth more than a couple hundred dollars to me. I would take him up on paying for your medical bills though - he should do that anyway. Just my two cents! I hope your leg feels better soon, that would be so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That's horrible! And I do think he should pay your medical bills! it's only fair! Wouldn't you do the same with your sweet pup? (Not that he would ever do that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you should at least present him with the cost of time lost at work. It isn't like you are asking him for punitive damages for your emotional experience but what do I know...I am only just your mom:)

    ReplyDelete