Thursday, January 28, 2010

Please excuse me while I pass out..

Okay so i didn’t fully pass out but i did leave a family stranded at the register, mid-order, so i could spare them the sight of me on the floor which I was certain would have happened if I didn’t sit down and let my world stop spinning! Yeah a little embarrassing. Oh and it of course was at the perfect timing where there was only me and the sandwich maker in the front which caused me to say “Hey would you watch the register real quick i think i am going to faint” as I ran to the back and sat down in the nearest chair. Luckily my shift was almost over (15 minutes left) and I was able to drink some water and leave before anything else happened!

Why did I almost faint you ask? Well that is a very good question to which I am not quite sure but have my speculations…

1. I hadn’t gotten a lot of water since I had been standing at the register for most of my shift and might have been dehydrated before I even started work.

2. I have had problems with my potassium levels in the past and I think that was the main culprit. You see as I have mentioned earlier, I am training for two 1/2 marathons and a full marathon and with that the training plan that i am on has me running 38-50 miles a week which involves a lot of sweating (even for people like me who hardly sweat) and can throw your electrolytes off balance. I have also had a hard time getting enough calories in for all that I am expending during the week and I think my body had just had enough!

But I have to say it really scared me. My folks are in Hawaii right now and when my potassium levels had dropped really low before I had to go to the emergency room and have an IV to get them back on track and I really didn’t want a repeat! Fortunately, I was able to go home and eat potassium rich food and drink lots of water and PowerAde and now am feeling a lot better :)

This incident has made me stop and think though (along with the loving lectures of my family which I scared to death) that I either need to really increase my caloric intake to meet my running or I need to cut back running! Now I love running and am obsessed with it but I also love my clothes and don’t want to have to get new ones if I gain weight. Big dilemma…

However, I think i am really starting to see that my health is the most important thing and so, with a nervous spirit, I am choosing to eat more and listen to my body as I continue my training plan. By the way, this goes against everything that I have forced myself to believe and act on for the last 7 years (the eating more) so wish me luck!! Oh and thanks for listening to me unload :)

Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better and your health if the most important thing...make sure you take care of your body, it's the only one you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes that scary!! ANd I would most definitely go with that last paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that is uber scary! I've had that happen in the past as well. You might want to try an electrolyte in your water like Nuun, it tastes like smarties! :)

    I feel ya on the not eating enough. I'm burning 1000+ calories before I even start my day and end up barely eating enough to make up for that. Everyone keeps telling me more almonds since they have good fat so I've been trying to incorporate them into my salads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, it's a hard step to take- but your health is the most important thing:) Hang in there, it will get easier:) Praying for you cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to make sure that body is fuled for your family! Be healthy, bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right! Eat eat eat! Trust me, with that kind of mileage, you aren't going to gain enough weight to need bigger clothes! You'll maintain, but the nutrients will just keep you healthier and more stable. In fact, in some cases, you might lose weight. Bodies that struggle to maintain nutrient levels often hold onto fat deposits; it's a protective mechanism that keeps you from starving to death. It's why some anorexics never look skeletal. Not that you're anorexic. But athletes experience the same thing sometimes. I just adore you and want you to be healthy and safe my friend:) Let me know if I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are okay sweetie and at least you realized what you needed to eat to replenish your fluids! This is very important. Yes, with parents and family far away it makes this very scary, glad you are taking care of yourself. ;) XO!

    ReplyDelete